Thursday, February 23, 2012

Lenten Gratitude Day 1


Candle, originally uploaded by jasonstaten.
This first full day of Lent (after the ashes last night), it hit me like a ton of bricks. It was a moody day at work, the kind that makes you want to come home and update your resume. On the way home, under dark sleety skies, I sighed when I thought of 15 minutes of exercise (let alone the 30 I normally try for on Thursdays) and the 15 minutes of decluttering. It's Meaghan's 15th birthday and my inclination was to leave these things I had chosen by the wayside. I can always start tomorrow, after all. Isn't there a fresh start every morning?

At home, I prep gifts and cards. I change my clothes to get on the rower, gritting my teeth. But then I think of my daughter, the 15-year-old who pummels young men in their 20's at Wii boxing. So instead of the rower, I challenge the birthday girl to some Wii. She barely moves, and knocks me out. I flail a good deal, but my heart rate is up :) I get in more than my 15 minutes, and it's a lot more fun.

We eat birthday pizza, and banana splits. The burdens of the day are a bit lighter. I have committed to count, every day. So I count.

646. Girl Scout cookies at the dinner table, a treasured treat.
647. My girl (who chooses goat cheese and spinach spinach for her birthday dinner.)
648. Banana splits.
649. Having a job, and health insurance, even when it gets on my nerves (The job, not the health insurance.)
650. Grace, that covers so much of me.

It's supposed to snow a lot tonight. Tomorrow will start all white and fresh and clean.

1 comment:

  1. Heather,
    It does feel so good to be able to spend time with our teenagers. It's also lovely when they actually want to spend time with us!
    I'm looking forward to your lenten gratitude!
    ~blessings

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails