528. Troy and Meg playing "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader" on the Wii.
529. The fact that even though transition is hard, hard, hard, I feel better and stronger emotionally, physically, spiritually, and more like myself than I have in years.
530. Phone calls.
531. The means of grace, and the hope of glory.
532. Working closer to home tomorrow.
533. Confessions, forgiveness, grace.
534. Pushing myself a little bit more every time I exercise.
Thursday, March 31, 2011
528. Troy and Meg playing "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader" on the Wii.
Wednesday, March 30, 2011
Tuesday, March 29, 2011
517. Drooly naps after work.
518. Dads (Happy Birthday to mine on Sunday!)
519. Dreams of owning a house someday (maybe sooner than we dreamed?)
520. My daughter humming in her bedroom.
521. Chats with Carol on the way home from work.
522. Funky exercise playlists :)
523. Banana smoothies when the tummy is unsettled.
Saturday, March 26, 2011
511. Girl's night out at Hamburger Mary's.
512. My son being thrilled to have a penny he found on the floor.
513. Teamwork: hubby and I got the grocery shopping (2 stores) done in 40 minutes.
514. Meg spending Friday night at a shelter with her youth group, cooking dinner, serving and eating with the residents.
515. Beagle play dates.
Thursday, March 24, 2011
504. Being forced to trust God for provision.
505. Looking forward to girl's night out tomorrow.
506. Going to bed even earlier :)
507. Choosing hope, again.
508. Friends who move back!
509. New babies in the family.
Wednesday, March 23, 2011
499. Hanging out with Oasis Madrid peeps all evening (even though it meant no gratitude post :) ).
500. Gaggle of loud us wandering down to the Yummy Buffet restaurant.
502. That even though I have not eaten in a very healthy way so far this week, tomorrow is a new day, a fresh beginning.
503. Going to bed early.
Monday, March 21, 2011
494. The faithful who walk to prayers every morning, all dressed in black.
495. The man who leaves his apartment building and waves up at his family in the window without fail.
496. Wonderful middle-Eastern food with friends tonight.
497. Looking forward to reunion, food and fellowship tomorrow night.
498. Giving God my dream for another great kitchen to host people in when we move this summer.
Sunday, March 20, 2011
488. Quiet Sabbath at home; when one if weary on the journey to finding a church home.
490. Knowing that we'll have to move again this summer prompting me to get rid of more stuff, to continue to learn to live with less.
491. Sharing computers=better time usage for all of us.
492. Reading a whole book in a day; something I haven't done for so long!
493. Being able to request books to my branch of the library from my couch.
Saturday, March 19, 2011
483. The faintest smudges of green in the trees in the park, just starting to show against the sky.
484. A brisk but sunny Saturday walk to the library and back with Meg.
485. Whole wheat blueberry pancakes.
486. Every day, taking up the challenge to live more simply.
487. The weekly Saturday errands and grocery shop date with my hubby.
Friday, March 18, 2011
Thursday, March 17, 2011
475. A good shadow day for Meg and a decision about high school.
476. Roast pork, sweet potato fries and fried platanos.
477. Looking forward to casual day and jeans tomorrow ;)
478. The smell of coffee to pull me by the nose upstairs every morning.
Wednesday, March 16, 2011
467. Nic, summarizing what he learned in discipleship with his Dad tonight: "We don't need any superheroes; we have God!"
468. Sunny afternoon walk up from the corner.
469. Polite students at the end of the day; "Yes, ma'am'.
470. Being able to help a sad and troubled teenage girl at work today because I speak Spanish.
471. High fives over 12 pounds down.
472. Doing great with our budget this month.
474. White Sox/Cubbies banter at work.
Tuesday, March 15, 2011
Monday, March 14, 2011
459. My hubby's shortcuts.
460. My daughter making a high school comparison chart all on her own.
461. Nic's prayers (that nobody at school would tease him about his new glasses) being answered today.
462. Choosing hope even in discouragement.
463. Time to worship and exercise.
Sunday, March 13, 2011
Saturday, March 12, 2011
441. Realizing that some of my goals for Lent are probably from my own systematic brain and not from the Holy Spirit's nudge.
442. Freedom to adjust my expectations.
443. Video chats with Elizabeth.
444. Remembering now that Nic's passport needs renewing.
445. My husband's self-discipline and the example it sets for me.
447. My kids doing stuff together.
448. Recognizing judgmental thoughts in my head and giving them up to the One who loves us all the same, no matter what we may do.
449. Technology that allows us to have deeper empathy and better knowledge about how to pray for the people in Japan.
450. An exuberant body-wagging dog every morning.
451. A trip to the museum with a friend for Troy (I'm not a big museum person, but my hubby is!)
452. Taking Meg to the library.
453. Nic being tickled pink to get his new glasses today.
454. Watching Secretariat as a family + Ben :)
Friday, March 11, 2011
437. Friday afternoon naps after work.
438. K-Mart employee discount cards for spouse too :)
439. A hubby who already has a reputation of being 'a good worker" after 2 days :)
440. My teenage daughter and her African American best friend at school doing their history fair project on the Women's Suffrage Movement.
Thursday, March 10, 2011
430. Two really good high schools to choose between for Meg.
431. Three blasting firetrucks charging to somebody's aid.
432. Needing my sunglasses on the way to work.
433. Giving myself grace.
434. Exercising a little instead of not at all.
435.Getting the tax stuff sent to our wonderful tax guy.
436. Trusting God with the outcome of taxes this year.
Tuesday, March 8, 2011
Since I began observing Lent a few years ago, I have tended to take things away instead of adding them on.
This year I AM going to limit a couple of things, but I hope to add things instead.
In the mornings, before I get out of bed, I am going to listen to the daily "Pray as You Go". I hardly use my MP3 now that we are back in the US, but I have been wanting to incorporate this into my spiritual life for quite some time.
I recently discovered Doxasoma, which is a way to strengthen both my body and my spirit. In my recent "quest" to get my body in better health and strength, I feel it's no mistake that I came upon this peaceful, deliberate practice now. I won't be able to do it every day, but I do hope to explore it more during Lent.
Deliberate gratitude. I have been posting my 1000 Gifts sporadically, but during Lent I want to post at least a few every day.
That's it! Instead of creating an impossible list for myself, I am choosing to "mellow" some things, and add in only a few simple things.
Monday, March 7, 2011
Just to say thanks...
415. A husband who empties the nasty water tank in the vacuum.
416. Strawberry and banana or mixed berry and banana smoothies.
417. A son who is always greets me exuberantly when I come home from anywhere.
418. Making mushroom chicken from the More With Less cookbook and thinking of my Mom.
419. Glasses for Nic from Walmart at a price that fits the budget.
420. Free eye exams through our health insurance.
421. Pushing my body to greater health and strength feels like keeping His temple.
422. A decision on high school for Meg.
423. A youth group that actually talks about Lent.
424. A daughter who takes her spiritual life seriously.
425. Discovering Doxasoma
426. Asking God for things in secret.
427. The smell of cumin in the house.
429. Cleaning out closets.