Monday, October 18, 2010

The Sweetness of Fall


I think Fall has always been my favorite, in my heart of hearts. For awhile I tried to tell myself that I liked spring best, with tiny buds of fresh leaves, the flowers, everything bursting forth. New life. What's not to prefer? The new life of spring versus the dying of autumn.

Yesterday, on our walk to church, I breathed deep again the sweet smell of fall, something I missed a lot during our years in Spain. I looked up at the beautiful contrast between deep red leaves and blue sky, and watched yellow leaves drifting down in the sunlight.

Then I realized that the beauty, the sweetness of fall is death, but death of me, so that He can live more. The more of me that turns to vibrant red and yellow, shines for Him. The bits of me that fall off under His loving work smell sweet.

I happily embrace fall in my surroundings and in my life. Bring on the beauty, the radiant colors. Bring the sweet smell of less of me and more of Him.

More counting...


holy experience



342. The older gent in the parka humming to himself as I passed him on the sidewalk.
343. The complete sensory experience of fall...the perfume of drifting leaves, the cacophony of color, the carpets of red and gold to tread on, the satisfying crunch underfoot.
344. Good Earth tea.
345. Finally getting the deposit back from our move.
346. Having a roof over our heads with heat (thinking of the homeless guy that sometimes sleeps in our park.)
347. Kind people at the dentist office and finding out things aren't as bad as I feared.
348. The lightness of spirit Meg has after youth group.
349. A new friendship that give my heart hope.
350. A hug.
351. Looking forward to a visit from a college friend on Thursday.
352. A boy and his Dad working on karate moves.
353. Having the urge to write again.
354. Getting my little notebook to keep in my purse organized.
355. Praying "Lord, have mercy" together in church on Sunday morning.
356. People in Sunday school being vulnerable.
357. Happy memories of my Mom, even though I miss her every day.
358. A hubby who goes to the grocery store for me even when he doesn't feel like it.
359. Naps.
360. Baby steps in becoming more disciplined.
361. Cellphone plan that is totally adequate for us and costs us $19 a month for three phones!


Click on the logo above to read more gratitude.

2 comments:

  1. "the sweetness of fall is death, but death of me, so that He can live more. The more of me that turns to vibrant red and yellow, shines for Him. The bits of me that fall off under His loving work smell sweet." I love this, Heather. What a great analogy.
    I join you in gratitude for folks who will risk being vulnerable in church. I long for a small group where I can have that experience. Why do we feel like we have to be so "perfect" in church?
    blessings to you
    ~a

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails