Monday, September 13, 2010

1000 Gifts

holy experience


I have been neglecting my gratitude posts of late, and to be honest, I am not much in the mood today. Although I am deeply grateful for the spiritual discipline of gratitude, and DO have much to be thankful for, today I just don't feel like recording them, or writing about it. But because of that very thing, I am.

On Friday I found out that I did not get the second job I applied for, even after a second interview that I felt very good about. I loved the people in the department and I was really excited about the chance to work there.

Since I found out that I didn't get it, I have been grieving the loss of that excitement, but also with a deeper, more general feeling of rejection that comes and goes. I am making the effort to really seek God and His dreams for me, with the awareness and wonder of the idea that He has something even better in mind for me.

Still, it has taken the wind out of my sails. I had hoped to start working today. I had hoped that we would have a better sense of finances, that the strain of medical check-ups, dental check-ups, eye exams, setting up the house, saving for a car, getting new driver's licenses, would be eased. I am chagrined to realize that once again I have taking on the burden of those things, instead of giving them to, leaving them with the Lord.

So, once again, I take the time to ponder, to count, take note.

From Troy:
221. Sunshine
222. A visit from Grandpa
223. Kristen stopping by on Tuesday.
224. A bunch of friends who showed up to help us unpack our shipping container.
225. A generous dad who bought us a new laptop.
226. Nic's perfect score on his Social Studies test and his perfect smile as a result.
227. We are no longer sleeping on the floor!
228. Curtains in the living and dining room.
229. An inexpensive white wicker dresser and mirror for Meg's room.
230. Meeting more neighbors: Mike and Susan and Rachelle.
231. Buying lemonade from our back-alley neighbors.
232. A bathed dog :)
233. A wife who had the foresight to see that gratitude on the kitchen table is a GREAT idea.
And me...
234. Aldi fresh pizza
235. Cheap sushi, walking-distance from my house :)
236. Unpacking.
237. Having my kitchen back :)
238. Planning and cooking yummy meals for friends.
239. Road trip with my Dad.
240. California Pizza Kitchen Greek pizza.
241. Culver's roast beef sandwiches.
242. Chocolate milkshakes.
243. Plans to start a home group soon.
244. Fresh vegetables from a relative's garden.
From Troy again...
245. Getting to see the Crulls on their furlough.
246. Nic's teachers looking out for him.
From Ben (who recently moved to Chicago :) )
247. Troy with car to rescue you when you're lost.
248. New friends and old friends welcoming you to a new city.
249. Nic's famous tea.
And me again...
250. A quick trip to MN for Labor Day and the fair.
251. The hospitality of friends.
252. Being in love with my husband, and he with me.
253. Safe journeys.
254. A very fun second interview.
255. Friends who pick up the phone and call.
256. Encouragement from friends when you don't get the job.
257. The reminder that God is in charge of providing for my family, not me.
258. Visiting one of the friendliest churches we have been to, ever.
259. Lunch with Sabrina.
260. Beautiful fall weather.
261. Furniture from the alley/dumpster :)
262. Chatting with my daughter on fb from across the room.
263. Time to continue getting settled.

1 comment:

  1. culvers... oh how i miss the midwest! have you had an italian beef yet? please have one for me!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails